marți, 18 noiembrie 2014

EXERCISES with phrasal verbs






















1.  Phrasal Verbs with 'off'
Complete the first part of the phrasal verbs. Some verbs may be used more than once but with different meaning.
1. It's so hot today. Why don't you. off your coat? 
2. Due to a lack of interest, we had to ….. the meeting off. 
3. Oh no! Look, the wallpaper is ……. off! 
4. I stayed up to watch a film, but then I ……. off. 
5. Stop …….off your knowledge of history. 
6. Damn, I couldn't clean that ……. off my favourite sweater. 
7. All the hard work finally ……. off. 
8. The company ………. off jobs. About 100 workers were laid off. 
9. Would you please let me finish my thought? Don't ……. me off in the middle of a sentence.
10. The new management …….. off an amazing recovery in the company's fortunes.
11. He invested the money and ……. off the interest.
12. She saved money every month and finally managed to ….. off her student loan.
13. They …..off the decision for another month.
14. We'll never get the money back - I think we should …… it off.
15. Falling prices put me off investing in the English property market.

2.  Phrasal Verbs with 'out”
Complete the first part of the phrasal verbs. 
1. I enjoy…….. out with friends. 
2. Last weekend we……. out the shed in our garden. 
3. If you want to go anywhere tonight ,……. me out. I'm grounded. 
4. His unbelievable story…… out to be true. 
5. Have you ……….out the bin yet? 
6. One should not …..the baby out with the bathwater. 
7. When Simon was little, he used to sing in a choir. But after his voice change, he ………out. 
8. Do you need a break? You look……… out. 
9. I'm afraid the situation is ……..out of hand. 
10. I saw a shadow, but I couldn't………. out what it was.
11. We surely can’t …..out the tour now as all the tickets have already been sold.
12. The students have to ….out only three sections.
13. My mother has ….out a lot of money lately from her account in order to buy a house for me.
14. Fortunately, everything …..out fine in the end.
15. The strong smell of fresh paint made me ….out.
































3.  Phrasal Verbs with 'out”
Complete the first part of the phrasal verbs. 
1. I have always …..on well with my parents.
2. We regret to inform you that this year we are not …..on any more employees.
3. ….on doing that wonderful job!
4. Everybody needs to …..on with their work if we want to finish the project in due time.
5. They…. on their early success and soon expanded to become the biggest catering firm in the South East.
6Her dancing technique is good, but he needs to ……. on her strenght.
7. As a student, I felt that my Maths teacher was always…..on me.
8. What colour have you ……on for the living room?
9. I would like you to ….on until I go and check if the manager is available.
10. Will you ….my message on to when she comes home?
11. Can I ….on this yellow dress?
12. Your headache is …..on by the lack of sleep.
13. I  am going to ….on you this afternoon after I finish work.
14. In spite of her illness, she seems to be ….on well at school.
15. My boyfriend’s birthday …..on next Monday.



4. A Night Out

Fill in all the gaps with the correct form of a phrasal verb.


Dave's a funny chap! He never wants to …… in the evenings, but when he does, he never wants to go home again!
Last Thursday was a typical example. I phoned him and asked if he wanted to go out to our local pub for a quick drink. At first, he said that he didn't want to - he would rather …. and watch the telly. But after about 10 minutes, I managed to persuade him to come to the pub.
Well, we had a nice evening, and the 'quick drink' turned into a longer drink; the more Dave and I drank, the more we wanted to drink. The pub closed at 11 o'clock, so we had to  …….then, but Dave wanted to……..  and persuaded me that we should go to the nightclub in town to continue our 'conversation'. There weren't many people in the nightclub, but that didn't stop us from having a good time! I finally …… home at 5 o'clock in the morning, feeling very happy, tired, and drunk.
The way my head felt on Friday morning (or, to be more accurate, Friday afternoon!), I had to agree with our friends who say that Dave and I are a bad influence on each other!

































5. Being Involved (in)

Fill in all the gaps, using a phrasal . This exercise uses the adverb particle 'in' with the general meaning 'to be involved with an activity'

1. If you're organising a trip to London, ……. me  ! I love the city!
2. I didn't really want to do it at first - I was ……… by Dave.
3. This is a fantastic investment opportunity. If you……… , contact me by Friday.
4. I  ……..oil painting, but I prefer watercolours.
5. I'm not interested in ……….. people just because they are useful or powerful.


6.Cease 

Fill in all the gaps This exercise uses the adverb particle 'out' with the general meaning 'to cease'

1. I don't think we'll ever……..  financial fraud completely.
2. The engine………  so we had to push the car all the way to the garage.
3. Although the policy did not change, the protests………. eventually .
4. This course is too demanding. Most of the students…………  in the first year.
5. The next morning, he discovered that one of the party guests had………  in the garden.


7. Freezing and Boiling

Fill in all the gaps the correct form of the phrasal verb “freeze” or “boil”.

                           Winter extremes

It was an incredibly cold winter. When I got up that Thursday I was cold and when I went to the bathroom, I was colder. When I turned the shower on there was no water.
"Oh, no! The pipes have ."
Luckily I was wrong. My neighbour downstairs was taking a shower and I didn't have any water pressure in my flat. 10 minutes later, I was able to take my shower and when I got out, the window in the bathroom had ……...
I put on some milk to make some hot chocolate. While I was trying to get warm in front of the fire, the milk……. . I couldn't believe it. I was out of milk, so I put on some water to boil to make coffee. Then I went upstairs to put on more clothes as I was still cold - and forgot about the boiling water on the cooker. When I returned to the kitchen, the water had….. and the saucepan was overheating. I left for work without a hot drink to warm me up.  I thought I would take the car, but the windscreen was …… and the lock had…… . So I had no choice but to walk.
I passed the local pond and it had…… , so there were children on it trying to ice skate. Finally, I arrived at work, shivering with the cold - my nose was red, my hair full of ice and I couldn't feel my toes. My colleagues told me that even the river had …… and there was no traffic on it at all. 
In effect, we were cut off from the world as the roads were closed because of snow. At least our e-mail worked, so we did not feel quite so alone.
A few days later, the roads and the river were free again, but that was the coldest winter I had ever experienced.


























8. Making Excuses

Fill in all the gaps with the correct form of a phrasal verb.

                 A Poor Excuse:
Look, I know it's shocking for an English teacher to make a spelling mistake, but please don't think too badly of me. You see, I had a rather demanding week, and I've been under a lot of stress recently.
So, on Wednesday, when I wrote "I know I promised to be here earlier, but I was help up in traffic.", I actually meant to write “…….”  in traffic.
On Tuesday evening, a friend, who knew I'd been suffering a bit of stress recently,  ………with a bottle of Irish Whisky and... well, you know how it is. We didn't stop drinking until we'd …….. of anything to drink. The next morning, of course, I felt like I'd been run over by a bus, but although I was a little late, I did manage to go to work. I wrote the Phrasal Verb e-mail and was just about to check it when something ……. and I had to leave the office for a while. When I returned I had forgotten that I still needed to check it, so I just clicked 'send'.
It wasn't until I received the first e-mail from one of you, pointing out my mistake, that I realised what had happened. I wanted to phone you all up and tell you, but I knew there was no way that I'd be able to …….. to all of you, so all I could do was wait until today to explain what happened.

 9.Nostalgia
Fill in all the gaps, using  the correct form of a  phrasal verb.

Young people usually want to change things, but when they become old they often become nostalgic and ……. fondly to earlier times, before things changed. Perhaps the pleasant memories sometimes  …….the unpleasant ones, but this doesn't mean there isn't truth or wisdom in what old people tell us about the past. So, rather than complaining that we have to …….. older people …….. 'the good old days', perhaps we should stop and think first - they also have to …….. our unquestioned belief in progress. Being nostalgic doesn't necessarily imply that we want to ………. how things were, but it does encourage us to consider where we're going and whether it really is a good direction.





























10. Relationships 
a) Fill in all the gaps in this passage with the correct form of a phrasal verb.

Last week was not a good week for my brother, Massimo. He and his girlfriend , Magda,1 …….. on a visit to a restaurant. The trouble began while Magda was in the bathroom, a young lady on the next table asked Massimo if he had a lighter and he was simply in the process of giving her a light when Magda returned and got suspicious. She accused Massimo of 2…… the girl……. , and obviously Massimo defended his innocence. Unfortunately, the young lady got nervous and refused to3…….  Massimo …. when he asked her to help him explain. Magda has so far refused to 4….. it …… with Massimo despite his phone calls and flowers. Strangely, although this is the story that Massimo told me, his girlfriend told me a completely different version of the events in the restaurant.

b) Fill in all the gaps the correct form of a phrasal verb.

A: What's the matter? You look upset.
B: I've just had a row with Bill.
A: Bill? Isn't he the new boy - the one who's just moved here from Scotland?
A: That's right and as far as I'm concerned he can go right back again.
B: Why? I thought you'd 1…… each other - you're always chatting together at break time.
B: Well, we've 2 …… each other now. He promised to take me to see 'The Metal Rockers' in concert tonight, but he's just told me that he can't because he has too much homework to do. I bought a new outfit, but now I've got nowhere to wear it because he's 3…..  me….. .A: Well, can't you go on another night?
B: That's not the point - I thought I could 4…….. him, but obviously I can't.
A: Oh dear. It sounds to me as if you like him more than you admit - are you sure you haven't  5……..him?
c) Fill in the gaps with the correct form of a phrasal verb.

John had been attracted to Suzie for a long time, but she had been 1…… Dave - the captain of the school football team. And besides, even if Suzie had been single, he would never have had the courage to 2…. her….  - whenever he saw her all he could do was blush and mumble incoherently. John had found her sitting on the school steps one morning, crying into her hands, and so he'd asked her what the matter was and she had told him that she'd discovered that Dave had been 3…..  her - and with her best friend, too!
John sat down next to her and tried to console her, but she was terribly upset. After about 20 minutes she stopped crying and even started laughing a little at the jokes John was making about football players and their intimacy with their team mates. It was the first time that John had talked to her as a person, without getting nervous and stumbling over his words. And for Suzy it was the first time that a boy from school had spoken to her without trying to  4…….her….. . They had to end their conversation at that point because the bell rang to signal the start of school, so they arranged to meet after school at a local café.
John arrived at the café first, and spent his time nervously looking around the café, at the front door, and at his watch. He realised that he was worried that she would 5…. him….. , but then realised that this wasn't a date - they were meeting as friends to talk over her feelings about Dave, and he didn't even know if she was going to forgive Dave or not! While he was lost in his feelings of guilt he didn't notice Suzie arrive, so he was surprised when he looked up and saw her sitting in front of him, smiling. She had bought him a coffee, and as she passed it to him their hands briefly touched ...


Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu